9.26.2009

Color Without Lines

I know your splendor because I see it from the mountain peaks
I know your voice because I hear it in the breeze
I know your warmth because I feel it caress my skin
I know your smile because it lights up whatever room I’m in

People wonder how I can believe in you
when there is so much suffering in the world
But, I know you exist
Yes, I know you exist
Because the devil does not paint the earth with color in quite the same way
In fact, I think he just uses the color grey

I know your sweetness because I eat the fruit from your trees
I know your kindness because I encounter it everyday with the people I meet
I know your strength because I find it in sorrowful times
I know your courage because it’s become a good friend of mine

I know your infinite patience because it’s grown on me
I know your greatest truth because it’s what I continue to seek
I know your profound compassion because it’s mended my broken heart
I know your abundant joy because I see it light up the stars in the dark

People wonder how I can believe in you
when there are so many atrocities in the world
But, the reason I know you exist
Yes, the reason I know you exist
Is because the devil does not paint the earth with color in quite the same way
In fact, I think he just uses the color grey

I know your beauty because it composes the notes I sing
I know your passion because it melts the ice in the advent of spring
I know your love because it compels me to witness good in uncivil times
And I know you exist because only you, my Lord, can color without lines

No comments: